Norma Forss Photography 1930 – 1980

14 Jul

My mother, Norma Forss, did portraits of children in the most magical period of photography.  I have all of her negatives and I am restoring them by scanning them into a computer as image files.  I am able to fix all the flaws in her negatives … scratches, stains, fading of her color negatives, spots and holes and even some that are torn.  These are reborn now as perfectly new images, as though tye were just created.

What I cannot do … what no one can do … is pose her subejcts the way that my mom did.  I think the world should see these now.  The one I illustrate here is a portrait of a young girl named Adelia.  This photo was taken in 1937.  You can see the new completed world icon … the ever majestic Empire State Building in the distance … before it had an antenna put on its roof .  I actually can count about 1000 portraits my mother took and the most amazing thing about them is how perfectly posed each subject is.  My mother would not take a picture unless the subject at hand was coerced into postering themselves with directions from my mother that could take up to one hour !  I know because I was there; I remmember that it was quit an ordeal to be photograhed by Norma Forss … and the result was always as though the subject was beautifully posed in an instant as happens with a lucky shot we take here and there.  You will see amny of my moms porrtaits on this blog.  I made a CD book about my mom with 84 portaaits in it and three text files.  I can sell this for $8.00 plus $2.00 shipping.

Every picture my mother ever took shows her amazing mastery of her craft, and what is surprizing is that the bulk of her portraits were done with a simple box camera !

A can sell a large 8 x 10 digital print of Norma’s iamges for $85.  I use Epson paper and long lasting inks.

11 Responses to “Norma Forss Photography 1930 – 1980”

1. Barbara Stender July 18, 2012 at 3:03 am #

I love this photo! Can you tell me when it was taken? It talks about the era of my childhood and stirs memories.

• ginoforgeorge August 21, 2012 at 9:02 pm #

Hi Barbara,
      I think the photo you are mentioning was taken in 1937 … girl on the roof ?
      I have a library of 53 images on my blog but they are not viewable when someone connects to my blog. I am trying to figure this out. I will put more soon. George

2. Raining Iguanas July 20, 2012 at 12:30 pm #

This is quite beautiful George. I am sure Norma is smiling down in fond retrospect.

3. Karen July 22, 2012 at 6:15 pm #

I look forward to seeing more photos. This one is gorgeous!

4. marjorie goodson July 23, 2012 at 11:19 am #

What a mission of love and respect you are on with restoring your Mom’s negatives. Warms my heart! Thank you! I love photographing and am working digitally now, but soooo miss the film and darkroom.. It is wonderful that you still have that passion and knowledge for film and darkroom work! Thank you for this! marjorie

5. marjorie goodson July 23, 2012 at 11:27 am #

How do I purchase a cd of your mom’s photographs? thank you, marjorie

• ginoforgeorge July 24, 2012 at 2:03 am #

Hi Marjorie,
      You can order from me at …

George Forss / Ginofor Gallery
      38 West Main Street
      Cambridge, New York 12816

Send a personal check or a money order made out to Ginofor Gallery for $10. This will include shipping.

I thank you.
      George Forss

P.S. I also have Pay Pal. This is new to me but I think you can do this if you have a pay pal account.

6. Karen S July 23, 2012 at 1:43 pm #

I think the old photographs are captivating and I love seeing them. They have a charm all their own and should be treasured. I also look forward to seeing more of them!

7. treerings July 23, 2012 at 7:27 pm #

This is great that you are now a blogger! — barbara

8. Mandy July 28, 2012 at 1:08 pm #

This is wonderful. I can’t wait to see more photographs!

• ginoforgeorge August 11, 2012 at 2:49 am #

Hi Mandy,
      Thanks for your interest in my mom’s portraits. I’ll put some more on soon. George Forss